Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Feeling blue?

For the last while I've been trying out an alternative form of swearing. Rather than use the standard f-bomb for everything, "That f-ing f-er really f-ed up this time!", I'm using another equally flexible, but more socially acceptable word: "Smurf". The cartoon Smurfs used this word for everything, in the same way that some people use f&*$, but Smurf can be used for everything!
I was talking about this with B-monster this morning, and strayed into the subject of cleaned-up movie dialog. Some movies, when sanitized for TV, actually become much funnier. I'm thinking of Repo Man as a good example: "Flip you, melonfarmer!"

So how about one of my favourite movies, Aliens, done with "Smurf"?

Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a smurf?
Vasquez: No. Have you?

Hudson: [puts his rifle against Burke's head] I say we grease this rat-smurf son-of-a-smurf right now.

Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Hudson: Smurfin' A...

Hudson: Well that's great, that's just smurfin' great, man. Now what the smurf are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty smurf now man...

Hudson: That's it man, game over man, game over! What the smurf are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

Ripley: Get away from her, you *smurf!*

Vasquez: You always were a smurf, Gorman!

No comments: